Social Media has been an amazing way for me to keep in touch with friends near and far as well as network and make new connections. And with every new connection I make I find myself becoming envious of certain people and circumstances over and over and over again. Not in a bitter jealous way, but rather the “I want to do that too” kind of way.
- 1. Successful bloggers. When I see successful bloggers who have 10,000 people following them on Facebook or Twitter or Pinterest I think—why them and not me, I could do this too!
- 2. Successful authors. I’m so happy for people who publish their writing! Yet every time I see someone promoting their work I think—why them and not me, I could do this too!
- 3. Successful weight loss men/women. I know so many people who have been able to turn their life around and embrace healthy living. I think—why them and not me, I could do this too!
- 4. Successful community volunteers/activists. With so many worthy organizations out there, I see many people serving on boards and being a part of making a real difference in the world around them.—I think why them and not me, I could do this too!
Now in the same sense, I sometimes think—why them and not me, I could do this too! when it involves something I’d rather not be doing. Most of the time this involves Social Media skills and teaching or sitting on a panel or running a conference session. I know I could do this, and have been asked to do it before, but I just don’t have any desire.
The article “Envy Can Be Good For You” asks:
So what can my envy teach me?
1. What can I learn from his success that I can apply to my plans?
2. What stopped me from playing a bigger game like the one he is playing? If I am so smart with so much more to say, how can I play at that level too?
3. Have I set the right standards for my own success?
Good questions. And I know the answers…I just need to DO IT.
Therein lies my envy…these other people are actually DOING things I know I can do, yet I still somehow struggle with motivation. ACTION. I need to learn how to not only ignite the fire but to IMPLEMENT action steps to make these things happen. I’ve had this problem all my life. It’s not that I don’t believe I can, rather I can’t seem to get started and keep going.
The key to unlocking this puzzle?